Tuscan Bean Soup
- 3 stalks celery, roughly chopped
- 1 large carrot peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 1 can of cannellini beans
- 1 can of organic tomatoes
- (Extra cherry tomatoes to flavour if you have them languishing in your fruit bowl)
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano or thyme
- 1 tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 5 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 2 handfuls of buckwheat fusilli (or pasta of your choice)
- 1 litre of bone broth (or vegan broth)
- A good glug of olive oil
- Spinach or kale, chopped (optional)
If you have a food processor (I use a Thermomix) simply pulse the celery, carrots and onions for a few seconds to save time on chopping. Just make sure you don’t overdo it and end up with pureed vegetables!
Heat a good glug of olive oil in a saucepan and add the onion, carrot and celery. Season with salt and pepper and continue cooking on a low heat for 15 minutes. Next add the herbs and garlic and stir for another minute or two before adding the tin of tomatoes and another good crack of salt. Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer as long as time will allow you – between 12-25 minutes. Check the seasoning before adding the broth, fusilli and beans and cook for a further 10 minutes; just before the pasta is cooked add in the chopped kale/spinach for one more minute. Serve in bowls topped with parmesan.